PREP – 10 minutes
Serves 6-8 HUNGRY people
- ¾ lb creamy coleslaw
- 1/3 cup bottle salad dressing (Thousand Island, Creamy Italian or Creamy Blue Cheese)
- 1 (8”) round loaf of bread (your choice)
- ½ lb deli turkey, sliced thin
- ½ lb. deli corn beef or ham, sliced thin
- ¼ lb. cheese (Cheddar, muenster or Swiss, sliced thin
- Leafy lettuce (I like Boston Bibb)
- Sliced tomatoes, pickles, mayo, mustard, roasted pepper spread (see my post) on the side if desired
Drain the excess liquid from the coleslaw by placing it in a strainer for 10 minutes then add 2 tbs. salad dressing of your choice and mix well.
Cut a thin slice off the top of the loaf and hollow out the loaf leaving about a ½ inch thick shell. Spread some salad dressing on the bottom and sides of the bread. Line the loaf with the leafy lettuce then brush lettuce with remaining dressing. Press turkey onto the bottom, cover with half of the coleslaw mix and cheese. Repeat with remaining meat and cheese. Garnish with lettuce and replace the top bread slice. Place long 6-8 wooden toothpicks to secure. Chill no longer than 4-6 hours. To serve, cut between the picks into 6-8 wedges or let your guests self-serve the size they please at half-time!
Get creative! A few different types of rounds of bread with different meats and cheeses and no time at all in the kitchen, and you have a beautiful Super Bowl display (and a fraction of the price of party trays!)! Gooooo team!!